Skip to content ↓
John Harrox Primary School John Harrox Primary School

John Harrox Primary School

What is SEND?

What do all the abbreviations mean? 

Please see below the different words and abbreviations that we use in school:

  • SEND - Special Educational Needs and Disability
  • SEN - Special Educational Needs
  • SENDCo - Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator, the person in school responsible for managing SEND
  • IEP - Individual Education Plan
  • IBP - Individual Behaviour Support Plan
  • Outside Agencies - Any professional from an agency or service who provides advice to the school and family
  • Transitions - A change or transfer from one school or class to another
  • Provision - Any extra help, support or equipment that a child receives
  • Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) - Also known as an EHC Plan, the plans are legal documents that local authorities have to follow, they include information and support about the child/young person’s special education needs.
  • Individual Health Plan - This is a document which describes any significant medical conditions that a child may have which requires special medication or adjustments. The plan outlines the child's needs and what needs to be put in place to support them. It is then shared with all those staff supporting the child.
  • Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) - This is a plan which outlines any behavioural difficulties and how to support the child. It is then shared with all those staff supporting the child

'Special Educational Needs and Disability'

A Special Educational Need (SEN) is a difficulty or barrier that affects a child's ability to learn and to access the curriculum. A Disability is a long term health condition which causes a difficulty or barrier to learn or to access the curriculum.

Who determines that a child has Special Educational Needs and how do they know? 

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) in agreement with the Class Teacher and in line with the SEND policy will make the decision that a child has SEN and needs extra support to help them to learn. This is not a medical diagnosis, only a recognition that the child is finding it harder to learn than other children of the same age. They will then be placed on our 'Special Educational Needs and Disability' (SEND) Register after discussions with parents/carers.

SEND Register

What is a SEND Register? 

This is a list of all the pupils in the school and class who have special educational needs (SEND) and/or a disability. This makes it easier for the SENDCo and staff to monitor those pupils who need extra help. (See SENDCo)

Why is my child on the SEND Register? 

Any pupil on the SEND register has been identified as having a special educational need and/or disability. Extra help will be given to these pupils to help them to make progress.

What does this mean for my child? 

If your child is placed on the SEND Register, then they will  receive additional support. This will be set out on an Individual Education Plan (IEP) so that you can see what help your child is receiving and how often. (See IEPs)

Will my child always be on the SEND Register? 

This can vary. Some pupils with significant needs will always be on the SEND Register because they will always need extra support. Other pupils may only need help for a short amount of time and if they no longer need any help, then they will be removed from the SEND Register after discussion with parents/carers.

SEND Policies 

Please read the policies section of the web site to find further information regarding how children with SEND are supported in our school.


How accessible is the school for pupils with a disability? 

We have made lots of adjustments to our school to help pupils with a disability. We have an accessible toilet/ hygiene suite with a shower facility. Corridors are sufficiently wide for anyone in a wheelchair, with push button entry within our main entrance. There is also accessible car parking available. We have ramped access and exit points and all steps are clearly demarcated using black and yellow safety tape.

Will you make adjustments if my child or I have a disability? 

We make reasonable adjustments for pupils and their parents/carers, where we can. We work closely with parents/carers and any outside agencies who give us advice. We have provided special seating, writing slopes, coloured overlays and specialist ICT equipment to support specific children.

Will my child be included in all activities, for example school trips? 

We go to great lengths to ensure that any pupil with a special educational need and/or disability has the necessary adult support or required equipment so that they can take part; this includes school trips and residential trips. Safety of all pupils is of paramount importance and where this is considered to be jeopardised then a decision may be made, in consultation with parents, to make alternative arrangements.

How will my child be included in lessons if they have special educational needs and/or a disability? 

Staff work hard to ensure activities are planned whereby all children can achieve. A pupil's Individual Education Plan (IEP), Individual Health Plan (IHP), Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) or Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) will identify the support they need.